If you are looking for one mid-sized woodworking companion within 2 HP to 2-1/4 HP router bracket, the Porter Cable 892 Fixed-Base Router should be the perfect pick for you. The latest Porter Cable’s entry is good enough for all-around use, which can nicely compromise between the 3 HP beast and the new breed of smaller trim routers.
This router has enough power to deal with the majority of wood tasks you’ll be doing. Trust me, the Porter Cable 892 is an amazing all-around machine, which comes with all the features you need.
If you want to talk about the performance in a router table, I should say it’s a great machine. So if you are not a professional with a bulk of the woodworks, you will have a handful of benefits using it freehand.
Porter Cable 892 Router review
Robust, Variable Speed Motor with Soft Start Features of Porter-Cable 892
The Porter-Cable 892 has a powerful 12 amp, 2-1/4 HP motor, which ensures full-time electronic feedback which maintains motor speed and also capable of providing you enough power to accomplish a wide range of wood tasks.It has got a variable-speed motor (10,000 to 23,000 RPM).
So it doesn’t matter how difficult your routine task is, you can easily set the desired speed for your task.Again, if you try to run a large cutter at high speed, there is a great risk that the stock may burn. This feature will help you to avoid the hazard.
The soft start feature minimizes torque during start-up. It also stops the router from twisting in your hands while using it freehand, which is a bonus for a powerful machine. This feature leads to reduced strain and wears on the motor itself, ensuring a longer motor life.
Router Bit Size of porter-cable 892
The Porter Cable 892 comes with both 1/4″ and 1/2″ collets, which allows you to have a complete choice. You will always have the freedom to choose the larger diameter shank. Because the larger the shank diameter is, there is a less chance of vibration of the router bit during cutting.Excessive vibration of the cutter may cause a poor cut, so you should always choose the largest shank diameter cutter your router will accept. 1/2-inch diameter shank bits are also more resistant and less vulnerable to flexing under load.
Features and Specifications of Porter Cable 892
- It has a dual-position switch, which allows the user to cut power while maintaining the control of the router.
- Rack and pinion adjustment for fine depth settings is 0.0078 inches.
- During extended use, the over-molded grips will ensure the user’s greater comfort.
- It features a spindle lock for single wrench bit changes.
- There is a durable latch lever for quick and simple coarse depth adjustments.
- If you face any problem with this product within 90 days of your purchase, the product is backed by 90-days money back guarantee.
- The router comes with a 3-year limited manufacturer warranty and 1-year free service contract.
- The motor release facilitates the transition between bases.
So, here it is! The Porter Cable 892 is highly recommended for its amazing features, for any kind of wood task. This is just the perfect fit for your router table. Keep trust me and don’t hesitate to give it a try. I haven’t been disappointed and I strongly believe you won’t be too.
Maybe Still not making the decision? Read expert's guide to the best wood router reviews.